01/31/2006. Remarks by Andreas Gehrs-Pahl: "The sole C-48 was originally ordered by United Air Lines (UAL) of Chicago, Illinois as a DC-3A-197D, registered NC25612. It was originally configured as a 21-seat, right-hand passenger door transport with two Pratt & Whitney R-1830-CIC3G engines, which were equivalent to the military P&W R-1830-82 version. The aircraft was diverted to the USAAC directly from the Santa Monica production line before delivery to UAL. It received the Douglas designation DC-3A-377, the USAAC s/n 41-7681 and was fitted with military radios; otherwise virtually identical to the civilian aircraft.
Acquired by the USAAC on December 27, 1940, the C-48 was the very first (of 225) DST/DC-3 that was
impressed/drafted by the USAAC/USAAF either directly from the production line or out of airline service.
Those 225 aircraft received military serials and the following 29 different designations:
C-49/A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K, C-50/A/B/C/D, C-51, C-52/A/B/C/D, C-68, C-84. Some additional ones became C-53Cs
while 12 aircraft were not designated at all.
The TTC tail code stands for Technical Training Command of the Army Air Corps and the two stars on the tail
indicate it as the personal (VIP) transport of a major general of the Technical Training Command. It later
showed the tail code '2 1S' indicating that this was the second aircraft assigned to the 1st Staff Squadron
at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. and it still had the two stars.
Near the end of the war, on April 12, 1945, the C-48 was sold to Northeast Airlines of Boston, Massachusetts,
as NC25612. In 1947, it was being operated by Federated Airlines of New York, New York and was written off at
South Weymouth, Massachusetts on September 9, 1951.
Being rebuilt by W.L. Rausch Aviation Co. of Teterboro, New Jersey, in 1954 it went to Quaker City Airways of
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, registered as N25612, to Fleetwood Airlines of Brownsville, Texas in 1955, and as
CF-QDB to Quebecair of Dorval, Quebec, Canada on February 14, 1956. It was destroyed in hangar fire at Rimouski
Airport, Rimouski, Quebec, on July 13, 1958."