05/31/2010. Painted black and fitted with a nose-mounted pitot tube while on trials with Avro Canada, this was the second prototype, it introduced the wingtip fuel tanks, but still lacked ejection seats, dual control, armament and radar. Fitted with two 5,700 lb (2,585 kg) s.t Rolls-Royce Avon RA.2 engines it was first flown on January 19, 1950, by William A. Waterton. In October 1950 it went to the Central Experimental and Proving Establishment at RCAF Station Rockcliffe, Ontario, for initial RCAF trials and was allotted the code 'FB K'.
The aircraft was lost on April 5, 1951, when it crashed into Komoka Bog, some 10 mls (16 km) west of London, Ontario. The first and fatal Canuck loss was probably caused by the failure of the pilot's oxygen system. Pilot Flight-Lieutenant Bruce Warren and Avro engineer Robert Ostrander were killed. The aircraft was retrospectively taken on charge by RCAF on June 23, 1951, and struck off the same day.
View also the History Brief .