05/31/2010. Initially known as the P-80Z, the P-80B-LO is postwar version was characterized by a thinner wing with thicker skin. Moreover, to provide space for water-alcohol tanks, the internal fuel capacity was reduced from 470 to 425 gal (1,779 to 1,609 l). Other modifications introduced in this version, and later retrofitted to many P-80As, included the installation of a Lockheed-designed ejector seat and provision for JATO bottles. The 0.50 in (12.7 mm) M-2 machineguns of the P-80As were replaced with improved M-3 guns of the same caliber while various equipment items were modernized to improve reliability.
A total of 240 P-80Bs were delivered between March 1947 and March 1948 and included 209 P-80B-1-LOs (45-8478 to 45-8480, 45-8482 to 45-8565, and 45-8596 to 45-8717) and 31 P-80B-5-LOs (45-8481 and 45-8566 to 45-8595), with the latter being winterized models incorporating canopy defrosting and using special greases and natural rubber for Arctic service in Alaska. After being brought partially up to F-80C standard by Lockheed Aircraft Service, 117 F-80Bs were redesignated F-80C-12-LOs for service with ANG and AFR squadrons.
Special P-80Bs included 45-8557 which became BuNo. 29690 in USN service, and at least five aircraft, s/n 45-8484, 45-8485, 45-8528, 45-8538 and 45-8561, which were modified to duplicate the functions and guidance system of the Bell GAM-63 air-to-surface missile during a test program conducted at Holloman AFB, New Mexico, between June 1953 and November 1954. Modifications were made to nose and tip tanks to house the guidance system, additional vertical control surfaces were fitted above and below the wing, as was a smoke generator beneath the fuselage.