22/05/2005. Excerpted from British Built Aircraft
by Ron Smith
: "Built to Spec T.16/48, the P.56 Provost prototype flew for the first time on February 23, 1950. The two prototypes, WE522 and WE530 (pictured here), were powered by the Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah, this engine being replaced in the production aircraft by the Alvis Leonides. The Provost trainer was exported to Rhodesia, Ireland, Malaya, Burma, Muscat and Oman, and Sudan, in addition to 391 aircraft for the RAF, total production being 461 aircraft."