04/30/2009. First registered in Germany on February 1, 1977, the latest addition to the FLiEGERREVUE Airshow Team is seen flying over Berlin-Tempelhof Airport, two days after the airport was officially closed for all traffic on October 30, 2008. Note the "X" markings on the runway.
Visible just above and left of the aircraft is the historic ¾ mile (1.2 km) long quadrant airport terminal that was constructed between 1936 and 1941. Its underground tunnels were used for assembling Focke-Wulf Fw 190 until the closing days of WW II.
The Berlin Blockade (June 24, 1948 till May 11, 1949) initiated the famous Berlin Airlift, in which Berlin-Tempelhof played a key-role. The first flights took place only two days after the blockade, on June 26. The airlift was officially ended on September 30, 1949, after 278,228 flights brought 2,326,406 tons of civil and military supplies to Berlin.