10/31/2012. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "In 1944 Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation turned its attention from the wartime production of naval fighters to possible civilian markets. It started to produce a new version of the twin-engined G-44 Widgeon amphibian - the G-44A - with a redesigned hull and civilian trim. First deliveries were made in 1945 and a total of 76 aircraft (c/n 1401 to 1476) had been delivered by the time the line was closed in 1949.
Grumman also licensed production to the French company Société de Construction Aéro-Navales and the prototype, designated SCAN 30 and registered F-WFDM (c/n 01) first flew on May 14, 1953, powered by a pair of 200 hp de Havilland Gipsy Queen II six-cylinder in-line engines. The production SCAN 30 employed 240 hp Salmson As-10C eight-cylinder inverted V-engines, some had the similar 220 hp Mathis 8Gb engines. The company built 41 SCAN 30s (c/n 1 to 41), unfortunately sold only eight aircraft, the remaining 33 were auctioned and most went to the USA.
The pictured aircraft was built in 1956, and went to the USA where it was registered as N2814D. It was acquired by the Louisiana Forestry and Fishing Commission, subsequently it was used in the Bahamas, while it was reregistered N151SA. In 1988 it went to Austria and eventually it became part of the Flying Bulls collection, being reregistered OE-FWS. On March 29, 2005, the aircraft crashed during a landing on Garda Lake, Italy, and sank, the two crew survived."