TED BLACK COLLECTION
No. 10182. Pietenpol Aircamper (N3513 c/n 100)
Photographed at Florida Air Museum, Lakeland, Florida, USA, June 6, 2010, by Ted Black

Pietenpol Air Camper

11/30/2010. The prototype of Bernhard H. Pietenpol's Air Camper two-seat parasol monoplane flew for the first time in 1933, powered by a 40 hp Ford Model A engine. Plans were published in the magazine Modern Mechanics and Inventions in the following year and large numbers of Air Campers, with a wide variety of power plants, were built by amateurs, either from the magazine plans or from kits of parts marketed by Pietenpol.

The original Air Camper was of all-wood construction, with fabric covering, but some examples completed more recently have a steel-tube fuselage and tail unit. By 1970 he had modified his Air Camper by extending the fuselage by 9 in (23 cm), fitting modified Piper J-3 Cub landing gear, strengthening the wings, installation of an 8 gal (30.3 l) fuselage fuel tank and a 12 gal (45 l) fuel tank in the wing centre-section. The upper engine mounting on the fuselage was enlarged and a converted Corvair motorcar engine was fitted.

The pictured aircraft was built in 1967.

Created November 30, 2010