07/31/2012. Remarks by Walter van Tilborg: "The WR-1 light sport plane was designed by Neal V. Loving of Detroit, Michigan, USA. The first aircraft of the type was constructed by students of the Wayne School of Aeronautics in Detroit, Michigan. Loving was co-owner this school in Wayne County, hence the aircraft is referred to as the Loving-Wayne WR-1, although it was registered as a Loving WR-1 (N351C). It was first flown on August 7, 1950, powered by a 85 hp Continental C85-8FJ engine.
On August 18, 1951, the WR-1 qualified as a midget Formula One racer under NAA (National Aeronautic Association) rules after performing slow rolls to port and starboard, diving to 266 mph (428 kmh), sustaining 6.1 g. after a shallow dive, performing a high-speed turn with no loss of altitude and taking-off in a crosswind without veering more than 30 ft (9.15 m), subsequently it was listed as Racer number "64" (site files).
Loving became known as one of the "African American Pioneers in Aviation", and he donated N351C to the EAA Museum (presently AirVenture Museum) in 1964.
During the late 1950s Loving made plans available for amateur construction and the type could accept engines in the 75 to 115 hp range and several very similar aircraft were built in the USA and Canada with engines such as an 85 hp Continental C85 or 90 hp Continental C90. One of these aircraft featured a straight wing, while the Fellabaum Starfire was a side-by-side two-seat derivative.
A Mr. Greene built a WR-1 (registered N12LG) fitted with a 75 hp Continental A75 engine, but after restoration by Pat Halloran in 1997 it was fitted with an 100 hp Continental O-200-A engine and was reregistered N100PH. This aircraft later went to the Florida Air Museum at Lakeland."