TED BLACK COLLECTION
No. 6721. North American NA-244 AF-1E Fury (143568) US Navy
Photographed at Wings of Freedom Museum, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA, September 17, 2006, by Ted Black

North American NA-244 AF-1E Fury

12/31/2009. Designation notwithstanding, the FJ-4 effectively represented, by comparison with previous Furies, a complete structural redesign to produce a wholly new aircraft. The wing was totally new, the fuselage was new with greater depth and the tail surfaces were larger and thinner, internal fuel capacity being 50 per cent greater than that of the FJ-3.

Power was provided by a 7,700 lb (3.493 kg) s.t Wright J65-W-16A turbojet, four wing stations were provided for external stores and all stations were capable of carrying the Sidewinder AAM to supplement the four-cannon built-in armament.

The first of two NA-208 FJ-4 prototypes (BuNo. 139279, 139280) flew on October 28, 1954, these being followed by 150 NA-209 series aircraft (BuNo. 139281 to 139323, 139424 to 139530), all being accepted by the USN by March 1957. Previously, on December 4, 1956, an attack fighter version, the FJ-4B, had flown, this having a stiffer wing with six stores stations and the ability to carry five Bullpup air-to-surface missiles and a guidance pod.

The USN ordered 222 FJ-4Bs: 71 NA-209 FJ-4Bs (BuNo. 139531 to139555, 141444 to 141489), and 151 NA-244 FJ-4Bs (BuNo. 143493 to 143643), and all were delivered by May 1958. A further batch of 33 FJ-4Bs (BuNo. 143644 to 143676) were cancelled. In 1962 the FJ-4 and FJ-4B were redesignated
F-1E and AF-1E respectively.

Designated FJ-4F, two FJ-4s (2nd and 4th series aircraft) were fitted experimentally with respectively monopropellant (as NA-234), bipropellant (as NA-248), and variable thrust (as NA-251) auxiliary rocket motors. 143568 is preserved at Willow Grove with the USN/USMC Reserve code 27/7W applied. Data below relate to the FJ-4:

Created August 31, 2007