NICO BRAAS COLLECTION
No. 11508. Bayerische Flugzeugwerke BFW 1 Sperber (D-1315 c/n 351) "Bismarck"
Source unknown

Messerschmitt-BFW 1

08/31/2012. Bayerischen Flugzeugwerke (BFW) was formed July 30, 1926, their first product was the two-seat trainer BFW 1 Sperber (Sparrowhawk), a development of the Udet U 12. The main difference was the steel tube fuselage and steel tube N-type struts. Equipped with an 125 hp Siemens & Halske Sh 12 engine, the two-seat trainer was first flown in the autumn of 1927.

Initially, the aircraft was used by the DVL, in February 1928 it was sold to Alexander von Bismarck who used it for aerobatic flying. In October 1929 the aircraft was acquired by Prinz (Prince) Eugen von Schaumburg-Lippe, subsequent owners were W. Wildschild of Dresden, and Dr. E. Bieck of Cainsdorf. The aircraft was last seen in August 1931, its ultimate fate is unknown.

Created August 31, 2012