PIERRE BREGERIE COLLECTION
No. 9403. CAMS 58/2 (F-ALVT c/n 01)
Photograph from SNCAN

CAMS 58/2

11/30/2009. Drawn by Maurice Hurel and his team during the summer 1930 the CAMS 58 was the company's last flying boat, with wings of traditional wood and fabric construction and an entirely metal hull.

The first prototype CAMS 58/0 carried a crew of two in and open cockpit and six passengers in the enclosed cabin, and was powered by two 650 hp Hispano-Suiza 12 Nbr twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled V-engines placed in tandem. Registered F-ALKV (c/n 1) it was shown at the Paris Air Show in late 1930, followed by participation in the transatlantic postal seaplanes contest in 1931. It went to Air-Union, but was not operational used due to its insufficient range on 590 mls (950 km).

The pictured second aircraft was produced in 1931 with a widened hull and carried a crew of two and twelve passengers in the enclosed cabin. This version was powered by four 300 hp Lorraine 9NA Algol radial engines, increasing the range to 808 mls (1,300 km). During testing the aircraft showed a dangerous behavior on water, incurable the aircraft was subsequently abandoned. Subsequently the company ran into financial difficulties and was taken over by the Société des Avions et Moteurs Henry Potez in 1933.

In 1933 Air France ordered from the Potez-CAMS group two twin-engined transatlantic transport seaplanes for twelve passengers. Based on the CAMS 58/2, the renewed CAMS 58/3 was powered, like the CAMS 58/0, by two 650 Hispano-Suiza 12Nbr engines. Registered F-ALCJ c/n 2 and F-ALCK c/n 3, these two aircraft flew only 86 and 19 hours respectively, before they were replaced in 1935 by more advanced aircraft.


Created November 30, 2009