03/31/2007. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "According to official USAF records, the initial B-24A order called for 38 aircraft with s/n 40-2349 to 40-2386 but only nine were completed as B-24As and the other 29 were completed as
B-24Cs and B-24Ds, 40-2349 was delivered in January 1942 as a
B-24D-CO. It is wearing the national insignia in use between May 15,
1942 and June 28, 1943.
The L-2 was originally known as the YO-57, and tested in 1941 along
with the Aeronca YO-58, and the Piper YO-59. All three types were
ordered, and all were known as 'Grasshoppers'. A total of 2,348 D
models were built, of which 2,119 went to the USAAF."