05/31/2010. The two-seat M.F.11 reconnaissance and light bomber biplane was designed Maurice Farman in 1914. Powerplant was a 100 hp Renault eight-cylinder air-cooled V-engine, it could carry a bomb load of 287 lb (130 kg), while a 0.30 in (7.62 mm) machinegun was used as defensive armament. As it lacked the front-mounted elevator and characteristic skids of its predecessor, the S.7, it soon was nicknamed Shorthorn. It was produced in considerable numbers at the Société Henri et Maurice Farman at Billancourt, France.
In 1912, the Aircraft Manufacturing Company (Airco) had acquired exclusive license production rights in the UK for all Farman models, and the company manufactured at least 825 aircraft of Farman design, the bulk being about 650 S.11s for the RFC and RNAS. In 1916, four of the S.11s, s/n A942, A6863, B2011, B2012, were shipped to the Central Flying School at Point Cook, Australia, where they were reserialed CFS16, CFS17, CFS19 and CFS20 respectively.
Becoming surplus in 1919, the four aircraft were sold to Robert G. Carey of Port Melbourne, who took delivery of the aircraft on April 11, 1919, with the intention to use them for advertising, joyriding and barnstorming. However, a gale damaged all four aircraft, two beyond repair. The other two became the 2nd and 29th aircraft entered in the new Australian register on June 28, 1921, respectively as G-AUBC (c/n 1505, ex RFC B2011, ex CFS19) and G-AUCW (c/n 1326).
G-AUCW was stricken from the register on December 31, 1928, as its CofA had expired, however, it was reregistered in the revised Australian register as VH-UCW on November 22, 1930. Carey flew the aircraft till it was withdrawn from use on March 1, 1933 and subsequently stored. Nearly 50 years later the aircraft was in a deplorable state, and the remains were donated to the RAAF Museum in 1981. Thirty percent of the aircraft was reused to produce the aircraft that is now on display at the RAAF Museum, marked as RFC20.
G-AUBC was sold to E. Prosser of Tamworth, New South Wales, where it crashed in February 1926, the remains were stored. Nearly thirty years later, in 1954, the aircraft had been rebuilt and registered VH-UBC, unfortunately it crashed on its second maiden flight. Rebuilt again, it was flown in 1956, and in the same year it was sold to the Tallmantz Aviation Aircraft Collection in the USA, reportedly registered as N96452. Subsequently it was sold to two aviation museums before it was acquired by the Canadian Aviation Museum in 1981.
Note the aircraft is still wearing the Australian registration VH-UBC on the right top wing.