05/31/2010. The Canada Aviation Museum started as the National Aviation Museum at Uplands Airport (now Ottawa's MacDonald-Cartier International Airport) in 1959, presenting bush flying and early aircraft manufacturers in Canada. In 1964 the National Aeronautical Collection was formed in historic hangars at Rockcliffe Airport, amalgamating the collections of three organizations: the Royal Canadian Air Force, the Canadian War Museum and the National Aviation Museum.
In 1967 following re-organization of the Armed Forces and the National Museum of Canada the Collection was officially established as part of the newly formed National Museum of Science and Technology (now known as the Canada Science and Technology Museum). The majority of the aircraft were on show at the Collection at Rockcliffe, the balance being shown at the individual locations. In 1988 the National Aviation Museum moved to the current location at Rockcliffe Airport and in 2000 it was renamed the Canada Aviation Museum.
Although the pictured aircraft was acquired by the National Aviation Museum in 1959 as a B.E.2c with RFC serial 4112, a post-1979 restoration disclosed the serial was 5878, and the type to be B.E.2d. This indicated it was the one but last of a batch of 150 aircraft (s/n 5730 to 5879, c/n 894 to 1043) that was produced in 1915 by the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company for the RFC. It served with No.7 Squadron till 1917, and came to Canada in 1919.
Reconditioned it was displayed at the National Research Council Museum between 1936 and 1940, subsequently it was stored till 1957, thereafter the RCAF prepared it for display and in 1959 it went to the Canadian War Museum. Presently it is on display at the Canada Aviation Museum.