RAY CRUPI COLLECTION
No. 12420. Praga E-45 (c/n 1) Czechoslovakian Air Force
Aeroplane Photo Supply (APS) Photo No. 1708

Praga E-45

06/30/2014. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "In an attempt to compete with the Avia B 534, Pavel Beneš and Miroslav Hajn undertook to redraw the BH-44 with reduced overall dimensions, a redesigned tail-section and a slimmer and aerodynamic cleaned fuselage. The redesign was completed by Jaroslav Šlechta, who also replaced the preferred Hispano-Suiza 12Y drs by a 710 hp Rolls-Royce Kestrel VI engine. The E-45 was an equi-span single-bay staggered biplane with an armament of two 0.312 in (7.92 mm) Mk 30 machineguns.

The E-45 was first flown by company test pilot Smetana on October 8, 1934 ande proved extremely maneuverable and an excellent gun platform, but the more powerful Avia B 534 offered superior performance and was selected for series production, development of the E-45 being discontinued. The prototype was purchased by the Ministry of Public Works in April 1938 and was registered OK-ERR on May 13, 1938. Its fate is unknown.

Created June 30, 2014