08/31/2010. The last Marauder designation was the XB-26H, allotted to a single TB-26G-25-MA that had its original tricycle landing gear replaced by a gear fitted with two main wheels, fore and aft of the wing that retracted into the fuselage, while smaller outrigger wheels were installed in the engine gondolas. As seen in the photograph, external stiffening was fitted to the fuselage to take the additional loads of the landing gear.
The XB-26H was part of an experimental project to find a solution to the problem of stowing heavy, bulky landing gears in the
thinner wings required for new multi-jet planes. Flight tests were carried out in May and June, 1945 at the Martin field.
The principal idea of tandem gear, supported by outrigger wheels, was later used on the
Martin XB-48, and on the Boeing B-47 and