03/31/2012. Aware of some prejudice against the low-wing monoplane configuration for single-seat fighters, Emile Dewoitine evolved almost simultaneously with the low-wing D.500 a fighter of shoulder-mounted gull wing configuration. This employed the same 660 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Xbrs engine, the same fuselage and essentially similar tail surfaces.
Designated D.560, this fighter flew for the first time on October 5, 1932, proving to be somewhat slower at rated altitude than the equivalent low-wing monoplane when flown at the Centre d'Essais at Villacoublay during the following month. The ventral radiator bath was extended forward in similar fashion to that of the D.500, and to rectify a stability problem the vertical tail was enlarged.
The manoeuvrability of the D.560 proved outstanding, but evaluation pilots participating in the 1930 C1 program universally condemned the gulled wing (which was also featured by other contenders - the Loire 43, the Gourdou-Leseurre 482 and the ANF-Mureaux 170). As a consequence, the D.560 was rebuilt as a classic parasol monoplane, and was redesignated D.570.