BILL EWING COLLECTION
No. 12302. Bernard 160
Photograph from Musée de l'Air

Bernard 160

02/28/2014. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "During the 1920s the French were overcome with a consuming passion for 'colonial' aircraft, namely types optimized for ease of maintenance rather than outright performance in the 'hot and high' operating conditions of Africa, the Middle East, and the Far East. The Bernard 16 utility transport was created for these conditions and first flew in 1927 as a Cantilever high-wing monoplane powered by three 300 hp Salmson 9Abd radials mounted one on the nose and two on the wing leading edges.

The Bernard 16 found no official favor and was abandoned in favor of the Bernard 60T which had a powerplant of one 420 hp Gnome-Rhone 9Ady and two 240 hp Gnome-Rhone 5Kd radials and it could carry 15 passengers.

In 1930 the French Air Ministry issued a requirement for a colonial transport, and the company responded with a Bernard 60T derivative dubbed the Bernard 160. This was a handsome all-metal type with spatted landing gear and first flew in July 1931, it could carry twelve passengers or eight litters. Powerplant consisted of three 300 hp Gnome-Rhone 7Kdrs Titan Major radials.

It was followed by the Bernard 161 that differed only in its powerplant of three 300 hp Lorraine 7Me radials. Both aircraft were damaged in accidents, but were repaired and updated before finally being scrapped in 1937. The following data relate to the Bernard 160.

Created February 28, 2014