12/29/2014. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Designed by Rafaele Conflenti, the CAMS 46 was introduced in 1926 by the Chantiers Aéro-Maritimes de la Seine, one of France's premier exponents of the flying boat configuration. The type was an improved version of the CAMS 30E trainer, and appeared in two prototype forms as the CAMS 46ET basic trainer with the 180 hp Hispano-Suiza 8Ab in-line piston engine and as the CAMS 46fE primary trainer with the 150 hp Hispano-Suiza 8Aa engine. Though the design was modelled closely on that of the CAMS 30E, a number of aerodynamic improvements had been worked into the airframe to reduce drag, and the vertical tail surface had been enlarged and given a pleasantly rounder shape.
Accommodation for the instructor and pupil was provided in a side-by-side open cockpit, and dual controls were standard. Only the CAMS 46ET was ordered into production and this had radiators on each side of the engine, which was located in a nacelle under the upper-wing center section to drive a pusher propeller. The CAMS 46EE could he moved around on land on a two-wheel dolly, and the upper-wing center section was reinforced so that the flying boot could be lifted by a crane. Only a few CAMS 46ETs were built, and these served with one escadrille of the French naval air arm at Hourtin for many years, performing the unglamorous but important role of training flying boat pilots."