11/15/2006. Remarks by Bill Ewing: "Built by Victory Aircraft, Malton, Ontario, in 1944, this aircraft was given to a group in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario for an attempt to set up a museum there, but the idea collapsed and the Lanc was barged across the lake to Oshawa, Ontario.
The aircraft was purchased by Doug Arnold of England
after an attempt to acquire the aircraft by the Canadian Warplane
Heritage fell through. They arranged a deal with his contact in
Canada, Joe Corrigan, to dismantle the aircraft for shipment in
exchange for the four Merlin engines.
A third party got involved and
managed to convince Corrigan that he could do the job better. The end
result was that CWH was forced to convince the then Canadian Heritage
Minister, Alan McKekran to officially impound the aircraft at the
dock in Montreal until they obtained the engines they had originally
contracted for. In the end, Doug Arnold received this Lancaster and
CWH received their engines.
This aircraft was almost finished an
extensive refurbishing in England when a heavy snow collapsed the
hangar roof onto it, damaging all the top surfaces and the main spars.
It has since been sold to the Imperial War Museum and refurbished to
display standard. It is presently in the colours and markings of 428
Squadron, RCAF, and is scheduled to be displayed in the new
"Super Hangar" at Duxford, UK."