05/31/2008. Pictured at "The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends" that took place September 27-30, last year, this aircraft was produced in 1944 for the USAAF as a P-51D-30-NA, s/n 44-74739. It was transferred to the RCAF on March 16, 1951 and designated TF Mk. IV, s/n 9297. Coded AC-297 it was assigned to No. 402 Squadron (Auxiliary), at Stevenson Field, Manitoba. Later it served with No. 442 Squadron (Auxiliary) at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia. It was struck off charge on August 18, 1959.
It came on the civil register in the USA as N8672E in 1959, was reregistered as N151Q in October, 1962, another six owners and nine years later, May 8, 1971, it was registered to the well-known Bob Hoover as N51RH, who at that time worked for North American Rockwell. It suffered a wing fire at Marysville, Ohio, on September 8, 1984, it was repaired and flown again in August 1986, by that time Hoover had joined Evergreen International and the aircraft was repainted, named "Ole' Yeller" and listed as Racer number "47".
John K. Bagley of Rexburg, Idaho, bought the aircraft in 1997, and ten years later it still wears the Evergreen color scheme.