03/31/2008. Howard H. "Pete" Myers built this single-seat small aerobatic airplane in 1950. It resembled a clipped-wing Piper Cub, but parts of more than ten different aircraft had been used, including a 100 hp Lycoming
O-235-C engine. Wingspan was 25 ft 10 in (7.87 m), length was 22 ft 7 in (6.88 m), while the maximum speed was 120 mph (193 kmh). Pete and the Special became popular performers at fly-ins.
In 1957 the aircraft was rebuilt, a 9 in (0.23 m) section was removed from the nose and 3 ft (0.91 m) from the fuselage tail section. The rudder received a larger, squared off balance on the top, a dorsal fin was added and the elevators were changed to a balanced configuration. The O-235-C engine was replaced by a 125 hp Lycoming O-290 engine.
Later, the Special received a set of clipped Taylorcraft wings and the O-290 engine was traded for a 150 hp O-320 Lycoming engine. These modifications improved performance considerably, especially the roll rate and the inverted flight capabilities. The wingspan was now 24 ft 0 in (7.32 m), length was 18 ft 0 in (5.49 m), while the maximum speed had gone up to 140 mph (225 kmh).
At the 1960 Fly-in of the EAA, the Special gained first place in the short takeoff event, second place for fastest acceleration and the Grand Award for accumulating the highest total points during the Flight Performance Contest. The aircraft was donated to the EAA in December 1974, subsequently stored at Hales Corners near Milwaukee. The EAA Museum was relocated to Oshkosh during 1983, where the aircraft was seen during the 1985 air show (Ron Smith Collection). It was restored in 1989.