08/15/2008. The company that manufactured this aircraft operated briefly in California under the name of Zenith Aircraft Corporation (1927-1928) and Albatross Aircraft Corporation (1928-1929) before it was sold. In that time seven of these biplanes, designed by the founders Charles Rocheville and Albin Peterson, were produced: three models Z-6 (NX578K, NC7076, NX707E), one model Z-6-A (NC392V) and three models Z-6-B (NC835Y, NC935Y, NC977Y).
Powered by a 420 hp Pratt & Whitney Wasp R-1340 nine-cylinder, air-cooled radial engine, the Z-6-A could seat up to six passengers in an enclosed cabin in front of the pilot who was seated in an open cockpit. The aircraft was acquired by A.A. Bennett of Bennett Air Transport, Boise, Idaho, later it was sold and used as a crop-duster.
The late John Mullen obtained the aircraft at an auction in 1986 and started a long-term restoration, after 1993 the restoration was taken over by
Glenn Peck of Maryland Heights, Missouri, who finished the project in 2004. A few days ago, on August 3, the aircraft was awarded the Silver Age Outstanding Open Cockpit Biplane (Small Plaque) at the EAA AirVenture 2008, Oshkosh, Wisconsin. View also photo 9174.