12/31/2009. The second of five basic Model 203s built at the factory was completed as Model 203A and differed from the others only in being fitted with a 165 hp Wright J-6-5 five-cylinder radial engine. It first flew on August 29, 1929, and was delivered to the Boeing School with the other 203s, all of which were later converted to 203A under ATC 211 by change to the Wright engine. After several years of service, the vertical tail surfaces of the 203As were redesigned and enlarged along the revised contours that had appeared on the final version of the Model 218.
Two additional 203s were built at Boeing School, c/n 1940 in 1935 and c/n 1986 in 1936. To qualify for licenses under the original type certificate issued for the Model 203A, Boeing factory serial numbers were assigned to these school-built aeroplanes. Three of the 203As were converted to Model 203B by engine change and the remaining four 203As continued in use as primary trainers at Oakland until transferred to the United Air Lines base at Cheyenne, Wyoming, after American entry into WW II.