03/31/2011. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "This was the third C-54 built at Santa Monica, California, as was delivered to the USAAF as C-54-DO, s/n 41-20139 on May 15, 1942. It had a few accidents, at Muroc Army Air Field, California on October 13, 1942 and while parked at Parnamirim Field, Natal, Brazil on July 3, 1943. The aircraft was repaired in both cases.
It came on the civil registry on January 9, 1946 as NC86554 and was operated by the Pennsylvania-Central Airlines (PCA) of Washington, DC, USA and named 'CapitalLiner Washington' fleet number 411. PCA was renamed Capital Airlines on April 21, 1948, and Capital was acquired by United Air Lines of Chicago, Illinois on June 1, 1961. On August 22, 1961, this aircraft was sold to Chesapeake Airlines of Salisbury, Maryland.
Later owners where Charlotte Aircraft and Commercial Aircraft Corporation. In 1967 it was withdrawn from use and stored at Wilmington, North Carolina and probably scrapped."