11/30/2012. Remarks by Gábor Fekecs: "Till 1933 gliders used in Hungary were imported or license-built aircraft. In 1933 Zoltán Janka designed the first indigenous glider, the Gyöngyös (Pearl) 33. Janka's aim was to design a high performance glider with an improved performance over the German RRG Professor. Of wooden construction, covered with fabric and plywood, the strutted high-wing glider had an open cockpit and a skid landing-gear with rubber-ring damping.
The workshop of the MOVERO (Magyar Országos Védero Egyesület Repülo Osztálya, Aviation Section of the Hungarian National Defence Association) built the sole example, which made its three-minute maiden flight on June 11, 1933. Two weeks later, June 25,during a 5 hr 43 min flight, the glider reached a Hungarian recordheight of 3,740 ft (1,140 m), while on June 27 a 10 hr 7 min Hungarian duration record was set. The aircraft is preserved at the Kozlekedesi Transportation Museum.
The C-05-01 registration was typical for gliders in those days, and consisted of a letter and two two-digits number. The letter denoted its class: A for primary training, B for secondary training, C for performance. The first two-digits number indicated the builder, in this case the MOVERO Workshop at Gyöngyös. The second two-digits number was the production number of the builder in the related class, in this case the first. The HA on the wing or the fuselage side was the country code for Hungary, and still is as of this day."
For more details on Hungarian gliding history, visit the website HUNGARIAN GLIDERS 1933-2000.