08/31/2015. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "This aircraft was built as a standard 4-AT-E fitted with three 300 hp Wright J-6 engines and first flew on July 10, 1929, registered as NC8404.
It was selected for testing the new diesel-fuelled 225 hp Packard DR-980 nine-cylinder radial engine and initially redesignated 4-AT-G, when the type was considered for production, the designation changed to 11-AT. The first flight in the new configuration (registered X8404) was made on April 2, 1930, however, the rough running of the engine caused unsmooth rides, while the smell of diesel exhaust fumes were very annoying to many people. At the end of the flight test program Ford dropped the Packard diesel engine version and returned the aircraft to a standard 4-AT-B fitted with three 220 hp Wright J-5 engines.
The 4-AT-B was sold to Brigadier General Leslie G. Mulzer of Mulzer Flying Service of Columbus, Ohio, on July 3, 1934. On January 25, 1936, Mulzer sold NC8404 to a private owner, Oral K. Southwick of Springfield, Missouri. On May 29, 1937, the aircraft was damaged beyond economical repair at Belleville, Illinois, none of the occupants was injured."