The ultra-light motor glider was designed by W.O. (Bill) Manning, English Electric's aircraft designer. Serialed J6973 the first of three Wren's flew from Ashton Park, near Preston, England, on April 5, 1923. Wren No. 4 was not registered and displayed at the Science Museum until 1945.
Wren No. 3 was registered G-EBNV in April 1926 to
Alan Smith of Leeds, later to R.H. Grant of Dumfries, who offered
G-EBNV to The Shuttleworth Collection. However, it was in a bad shape
and it was decided to restore No. 4 to flying condition using parts
and the registration of G-EBNV. It flew again on September 26, 1956
and was handed over to The Shuttleworth Collection on September 15,
1957. View also photo 6328.