ROBERT HODGSON COLLECTION
No. 7677. Tipsy T.66 Nipper Mk.2 (G-ATBW c/n 52)
Photographed at Biggin Hill, UK, June 3, 2006, by Robert Hodgson

Tipsy T.66 Nipper Mk.2

04/30/2008. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "The Nipper was the brainchild of Belgian Ernest Oscar Tips. On 12 September, 1931, Tips formed Société Anonyme Belge Avions Fairey at Gosselies, Belgium, a subsidiary to Fairey in the UK. To separate his light aircraft interests from Fairey, Tips formed Avions Tipsy in 1935, although his designs were built at the Fairey facilities.

Design and manufacture of the T.66 Tipsy Nipper Mk.1 took five years and the prototype (OO-NIP c/n 01) was first flown on December 2, 1957, the first production Mk.1 flew on March 10, 1959. The Mk.1 was followed by the similar but re-engined Mk.2, the prototype flew February 16, 1959, the first production Mk.2 flew on October 20, 1959.

In 1961, after 59 aircraft had been delivered, production (including jigs and assembled parts) was transferred to Cobelavia (Compagnie Belge d'Aviation) at Herten, Belgium in 1961. Cobelavia designated the aircraft D-158 Nipper Mk.II and eighteen were produced before Nipper Aircraft of Castle Donington, UK, acquired the production rights in 1966. Nipper Aircraft went into liquidation in May 1971, after 33 Nipper Mk.III were built.

The pictured Nipper was registered as OO-MAG on May 24, 1960 to Air Affaires of Gosselies, later to the Golden River Aviation Club at Wevelgem. On January 19, 1965, it was deregistered as being sold to the UK, where it was registered as G-ATBW on March 19, 1965. Presently it is registered to two trustees of the Stapleford Nipper Group."

Created April 30, 2008