03/31/2007. Remarks by Jack McKillop: ";This aircraft was registered G-AIMI on December 3, 1946 and serialed WB482 when it was acquired by the Ministry of Supply. Transferred to the RAAF on January 24, 1949, for use at Woomera Rocket Range, serialed as A81-1 it is seen here in an early colour scheme and very large fin flash.
In 1967, the aircraft was sold to the Australian Air Express, and
subsequently flown to Archerfield, Queensland, for resale to Jetair
Australia in August 1969 and registered VH-SJG in February 1970. This
170 flew charters until the end of the year, when the aircraft was
sold back to Air Express, doing freight runs to Tasmania, Queensland
and Papua New Guinea. The aircraft flew its last freight run on July
It was sold to Malcolm Long, and ferried to Point Cook, Victoria, for
restoration and repainting into RAAF colours. Flown to Coolangatta,
Queensland, in 1980, it was displayed at the Chewing Gum Field Air
Museum before being gifted to the RAAF in 1988. Upon its arrival at
Point Cook, the aircraft was repainted by members of the Friends of
the RAAF Museum and put on static display at the RAAF Museum."