DAVID HORN COLLECTION
No. 9438. Central Aircraft Centaur 2A (G-EAPC c/n 102)
Source unknown

[Central Aircraft Centaur 2A

11/30/2009. The Central Aircraft Company was set up in September 1916 at Palmerston Works, 179 High Road, Kilburn, North-West London, as a subsidiary of the R. Cattle Ltd, a London cabinet makers and joinery firm.

At first building machines and making parts under license, later they took up original design, obtaining the services of A.A. 'Tony' Fletcher as chief designer. Central built two three-bay biplane machines, which were powered by two 160 hp Beardmore engines, and were named Centaur 2A.

The first, c/n 101, was seating a pilot and seven passengers in open cockpits, and registered K-170 it was first flown by F.T. Courtney in July 1919. Reregistered G-EAHR it was destroyed in crash following take-off with crossed elevator cables, at Northolt in July 1920.

Flown by Courtney in May 1920, the pictured second aircraft was an improved version with a cabin for six passengers, however, the pilot and one passengers sat still in open cockpits. Registered G-EAPC it received its CofA on June 30, 1920. Spun in with the loss of six lives, including that of the pilot, Lt. F.P. Goodwin-Castleman, at Hayes, Middlesex, on September 25 1920. The company went bankrupt in 1927.


Created November 30, 2009