10/31/2007. This navalized version of the Spitfire was built by Westland Aircraft Ltd. at Yeovil and, with s/n SX336, handed over to the RN FAA on May 3, 1946. It was withdrawn from operational use in 1954, being eventually sold as scrap. In 1973 the fuselage was recovered from the Joseph Brierley & Son scrap yard in Warrington, Lancashire, together with parts of SX300. Rebuilt to airworthiness the aircraft was registered as G-BRMG to Peter J. Wood of Twyford on September 19, 1989.
In 2001 it was sold to Tim J. Manna of Cranfield, a long term
restoration was started and the aircraft was re-registered to G-KASX
on October 30, 2003. It made the first flight after restoration on May
3, 2006. It is powered by a Rolls-Royce Griffon Mk.VI engine, still
fitted with folding wings and arrester hook for carrier operations,
and finished in FAA colours with the original serial and coded VL/105.
View also photo 10655.