09/30/2009. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "The Aeronautical Corporation of Great Britain, commonly known as Aeronca, was formed by H.V. Roe (brother of Alliott Verdon-Roe, and co-founder of Avro) at Walton in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK, in Spring 1936, to produce a British version of the American Aeronca C-3 Collegian.
Designated Aeronca 100, the type was powered by the 40 hp JAP J.9 two-cylinder engine, a license-version of the American Aeronca E.113C, fitted with dual ignition, produced by the J. A. Prestwich & Company, Ltd. (JAP) of London.
Only 21 Aeronca 100s where produced at Walton and for flight testing, the aircraft were transported by road to Horsey Toll, 2.5 mls (4 km) south-east of Peterborough after which many were stored as unsold. The Aeronautical Corporation of Great Britain ended its operations on November 5, 1937. The stored aircraft were taken over by Aircraft Exchange and Mart Limited (AEML) of London and eventually a number were sold.
Reportedly flown on March 8, 1937, the pictured aircraft appeared on the British Registry as G-AEVS on April 11, 1938, registered to AEML. It was sold after WW II to Robert Ward of Stamford, Lincolnshire, on October 17, 1947, whereafter it had eleven (partial) owners, before it was damaged when it hit a post landing at Lee-on-Solent, on August 19, 1966. Subsequently it was deregistered on November 23, 1966, as 'permanently withdrawn from use'.
However, it was purchased from insurers by a group of HAPS (Historic Aircraft Preservation Society) members and fifteen years later, August 28, 1981, the aircraft was re-registered as G-AEVS, and still is as of this day, albeit it has had seven (partial) owners."