07/31/2011. Essentially a derivative of the Delta Dagger initiated as the
F-102B, the F-106A Delta Dart entered service with the USAF Air Defense Command (ADC) in July 1959, the first trials aircraft having flown on December 26, 1956.
Powered by a Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 turbojet rated at 17,200 lb (7,802 kg) s.t dry and 24,500 lb (11,113 kg) s.t with afterburning, the F-106A featured an internal weapons bay for an AIR-2A or AIR-2B Genie unguided nuclear-tipped missile and four AIM-4F or AIM-4G Falcon AAMs. From 1973 on, optionally a 0.787 in (20 mm) M-61 multi-barrel rotary cannon could replace the Gemini.
The F-106B was a two-seat combat training version retaining full operational capability and Delta Dart production, which was completed in July 1961, comprised 277 F-106As and 63 F-106Bs. From 1972 the Delta Darts were transferred to the Air National Guard (ANG) and remained in service until 1988.
58-0782 was produced as an F-106A-100-CO and served with the ADC before it was transferred to the ANG were it served with 159 FIS at Jacksonville, Florida and 194 FIS at Fresno, California. It was stored at AMARC (coded FN0122) on March 17, 1987, and in 1993 it was converted to a QF-106A drone (coded AD147) and was shot by an AIM-120 on July 13, 1993.