08/15/2008. Evolved as a competitor for the SNCAO (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques de l'Ouest) C.A.O.600 in meeting the requirements of Programme Technique A47 which called for a twin-engined shipboard torpedo- and reconnaissance-bomber for use from the planned carriers Joffre and Painlevé, designed by the former Dewoitine team of the SNCAM (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Midi), employed a very similar configuration to that of the SNCAO contender for Ministère de la Marine orders.
Two prototypes were ordered by the Ministère de l'Air on behalf of the Ministère de la Marine on July 26, 1939, these confirming with Edition No.3 of A47 issued on January 10, 1938, and construction was initiated at Toulouse. The fuselage housed either two or three crew members were in carried in conformity with the naval specification; pilot, navigator-bombardier and radio-operator/gunner being carried for the reconnaissance and level bombing missions but only pilot and radio-operator/gunner being carried for torpedo-bombing and smoke screen-laying missions.
Powerplants were two 500 hp Renault 12R 06/07 twelve-cylinder air-cooled inverted V-engines. Armament consisted of three 0.3 in (7.5 mm) Darne machine guns, one in a fixed forward firing position in the lower port side of the fuselage, and one on a flexible mounting in each of the upper and lower aft cabins. On a ventral rack an 1,433 lb (650 kg) torpedo could be carried, alternative loads were an 132 Imp gal (600 l) fuel tank, four 331 lb (150 kg) or two 496 lb (225 kg) bombs.
The prototype was transported in parts to the Toulouse-Francazals airfield in early 1940, assembled and SNCAM’s chief test pilot, Marcel Doret, made the initial flight on May 6. Manufacturer’s flight trials were still in their early stages when the entire program was halted on June 25, 2943, the French-German Armistice. The first prototype was scrapped and the second abandoned before completion.