W.T. LARKINS COLLECTION
No. 10760. Larson D-1 (NX4840V c/n 114)
Photographed by W.T. Larkins

Larson D-1

07/31/2011. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Larson Aero Development at Buchanan Field, Concord, California, USA, was formed by Merle Larson and Paul Holmes, and the company produced the prototype of an easy-to-maintain agricultural aircraft for spraying duties. Registered NX4840V, it made its first flight on March 30, 1955, but no further aircraft were produced.

TYPE: Single-seat Agricultural Biplane.
WINGS: All-metal strut-braced biplane. Wing section Göttingen 365 (modified). Aspect ratio 6. Chord 60 in (1.52 m). Dihedral 0° on top wing, 1° on lower wing. No incidence. Aluminum structure and skin. Ailerons are also of aluminum. No flaps. Aileron area 28 sq.ft (2.60 sq.m). Wing area 315 sq.ft. (29.3 sq.m).
FUSELAGE: Steel-tube structure, with centre portion only fabric-covered.
TAIL UNIT: Fabric-covered strut-braced steel-tube structure, with twin rudders. Areas: rudders 15 sq.ft (1.39 sq.m), elevators 25 sq.ft (2.32 sq.m), tailplane 18 sq.ft. (1.67 sq.m). Tailplane span 12 ft (3.66 m).
LANDING GEAR: Fixed tail-wheel type, with Larson spring and oil main struts and bilateral spring tail suspension. Ford automobile wheels. Ford automobile brakes with Larson master cylinders. Wheel track 8 ft (2.44 m). Wheelbase 21 ft 6 in (6.55 m).
POWER PLANT: One 225 hp Lycoming R-680 nine-cylinder air-cooled radial engine. McCauley ground-adjustable air-screw with steel blades. One 30 gal (114 l) fuel tank in fuselage. Oil capacity 4.4 gal (16.6 l).
ACCOMMODATION: Pilot only, in high-set open cockpit.

Created August 31, 2011