W.T. LARKINS COLLECTION
No. 9031. Douglas DC-2-145 C-38 (36-70 c/n 1503) US Army Air Forces
Photographed at Oakland Airport, California, USA, September 1941, by W.T. Larkins
02/28/2011. Remarks by Jack McKillop
"This Douglas Model DC-2-145 was one of 18 C-33s ordered by the USAAC on December 3, 1935 and it was delivered on May 22, 1936.
It was the freighter version of the Douglas C-32 with a 63 in (1,60 m) high by 69 in (1,75 m) wide cargo loading door, strengthened
cargo floor, enlarged tail surfaces and two 750 hp Wright
R-1820-25 Cyclone 9 nine-cylinder, single row, air-cooled radial engines.
It was based at Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio on August 1, 1936.
In 1937, this aircraft was converted to a prototype of a series of aircraft commonly known as DC-2½s because they contain features of both the
DC-2 and DC-3. Equipped with DC-3 tail surfaces and 975 hp Wright R-1820-45 engines, it was originally designated C-33A but was
redesignated C-38 on January 10, 1938 and became the prototype for the Douglas C-39. The one and only C-38 was struck off charge in February 1945
and transferred to the Reconstruction Finance Corp. at Bush Field, Augusta, Georgia for disposal.
This aircraft is pictured in the markings of the 4th or 7th Transport Squadron of the 62d Transport Group, 50th Transport Wing, Air Corps
Maintenance Command and based at the Sacramento Air Depot, McClellan Field, Sacramento, California in September 1941. The group's third squadron,
the 8th Transport Squadron, was based at the Ogden Air Depot, Hill Field, Ogden, Utah."