PHILO LUND COLLECTION
No. 8500. Dyke JD-2 Delta (N18DW c/n 1093)
Photographed at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA, July 30, 2008, by Philo Lund

Dyke JD-2 Delta

12/31/2008. John W. Dyke of Fairborn, Ohio, designed the three-seat JD-1 Delta in 1960, that was flown on July 22, 1962, registered as N555A. Of steel construction and surfaces covered with laminated glass fiber or Dacronite fabric, the wings could be folded up and over, reducing the span from 18 ft 6 in (5.64 m) to 7 ft 4 in (2.24 m) for towing behind a car.

In 1966 John Dyke produced the JD-2, similar to the JD-1, but covered with metal skins, and numerous plans were sold to homebuilders. N18DW was constructed by David T. Williams, of Santa Ana, California, in 1972, but was severely damaged in 1979 in an emergency landing after an engine failure. The remains were stored for 25 years, and after a restoration the aircraft was declared airworthy again on April 10, 2007.

Created December 31, 2008