02/28/2011. In May 1914 the Deutsche Flugzeugwerke (DFW, German Aircraft Works) founded the Flugzeugwerft Lübeck-Travemünde GmbH (Lübeck-Travemünde Aircraft Service LLC). After producing a number of aircraft under license, it designed and constructed its first own seaplane in 1917, the F 1. Only three examples of the four-bay two-seat twin-float observer biplane were produced, fitted with an 160 hp Daimler D III engine.
More successful was its successor, designated F 2, eleven examples were produced, which differed slightly in size and weight of each other. With basically the same design pattern as the F 1, the F 2 was powered by a 220 hp eight-cylinder Daimler D IV engine. It was fitted with a radio and a flexible mounted machinegun. It had a span of 62 ft 4 in and a length of 37 ft 1.7 in (11.32 m). The type is sometimes designated DFW F 2.