12/31/2011. Remarks by Walter van Tilborg "Louis A. Stolp and George M. Adams of Compton, California, initially manufacturers of aircraft and marine windshields, designed and built a light single-seat sporting biplane known as the SA-100 Starduster, which flew for the first time in November 1957. Not intended for series production and licensed in the homebuilt category, it was followed first by a two-seat version, known as the SA-300 Starduster Too and, in 1969, by a small single-seat monoplane designated SA-500 Starlet.
The prototype SA-500 Starlet was built by Stolp for his daughter and was initially fitted with a 1,500 cc Volkswagen four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine, driving a fixed-pitch two-blade propeller with spinner. Registered as N501S (c/n 1) it was first flown on June 1, 1969, but was soon re-engined with a similar 108 hp Lycoming O-235.
The SA-500 Starlet is a single-seat swept parasol-wing monoplane. The wing is of wooden construction with spruce spars, plywood web and capstrip ribs, with Dacron covering. It has a Clark YH section; sweepback is 9° and incidence 3° 30', the fuselage is of welded 4130 steel tube with Dacron covering, and the tail unit has a braced structure of the same materials. The non-retractable tailwheel-type landing gear has cantilever main legs with wheel fairings.
Only a small number were constructed worldwide, including the pictured one in Australia."