08/31/2007. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "This Douglas Model DC-4 was delivered to the USAAF (renamed USAF on September 18, 1947) on April 13, 1945 as a C-54E-5-DO. It is shown in the markings of the Atlantic Division, Military Air Transport Service (MATS) after World War II. This was one of the 38 C-54E-DOs converted to C-54M-DOs by stripping the interior to carry coal during the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49. This aircraft remained in service until placed in storage at the Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center (MASDC) at Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona, USA, in February 1973.
On August 14, 1978, it was purchased by Aero Union Corp of Chico, California, and registered N4989K and was sold to three companies until purchased by Corporate Express of Pontiac, Michigan in March 1992. It was leased to Contract Air Cargo of Pontiac, Michigan from March 1992 to December 1996 and the South African company Saicam Air May to September 1998 when it was sold to Phoebus Apollo Aviation of Johannesburg, South Africa in September and registered ZS-PAI. It was withdrawn from use and stored at Rand Airport, Johannesburg on February 8, 2007. Its fate is unknown."