JACK McKILLOP COLLECTION
No. 7472. Fokker D.XIII PW-7 (68582) US Army Air Service
Photographed from USAF
02/28/2008. Remarks by Jack McKillop: "In late 1921, Brigadier General William 'Billy' Mitchell, deputy chief of the USAAS, went to Europe and visited Fokker's factory, the Nederlandsche Vliegtuigenfabriek, and when he returned to the US, he persuaded the Army to purchase 14 Fokker aircraft, 10 F-VIs, a D-IX and three D-XIIIs. All were built in the Netherlands and shipped to the US. This PW-7 was the last of the three ordered; all were equipped with Curtiss engines. When tested at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, this aircraft was assigned Project Number P-378."
Created February 28, 2008