10/31/2009. In 1930 Belford D. Maule of Jackson, Michigan, USA built M-1 (NC12634 c/n M-1) mid-wing single-seat monoplane, powered by a 27 hp Henderson motorcycle engine. In 1940 he founded the Mechanical Products Company, that was changed to B.D. Maule Company in 1941, producing aircraft equipment and gear parts. In 1944 the M-2 (NC34105 c/n M-2) single-seat ornithopter was completed in 1944.
In the mid-fifties the M-4 was conceived, a classic steel tube and fabric high-wing light aircraft with a fixed tail wheel undercarriage. Powered by an 145 hp Continental C145 engine the prototype Bee Dee (N40001 c/n 1) was first flown in February, 1957 and received its type certificate on August 10, 1961. In 1962 Maule Aircraft Corporation was formed and subsequently 470 M-4 production aircraft were produced in nine versions. A further three aircraft were produced under license by Servicios Aereas de America S.A. in Mexico.
N2023U was one of 117 M-4-210C's produced, powered by a 210 hp Continental IO-360A engine, and fitted with a cargo door.