01/31/2008. Hans Jacobs of the Deutsches Forschungsinstitut für Segelflug (DFS - German Research Institute for Soaring Flight) designed the high-performance two-seat trainer Kranich (Crane) II in 1935 and more than thousand were built in Germany before WW II began.
In 1951, two engineers of the
Szybowcowy Zaklad Doswiadczalny (SZD, Experimental Glider
Establishment) at Bielsko, reconstructed blueprints for a slightly
modified version, the SDZ-C Zuraw (Crane) II. The first was flown in
1952 by A. Zientek at Gdansk, and 50 were produced before production
ended in 1953.