12/31/2011. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Produced by Auster Aircraft Ltd. at Rearsby Aerodrome, Leicester, UK, as a Model J/1, the aircraft was first registered to Auster on May 12, 1947 to June 16, 1948. After six months, on December 21, 1948, it was registered again, this time to Air Schools Ltd. at Derby Airport, Burnaston, December 21, 1948. Next owner was the West Midlands Erection Co. Ltd. at Willenhall, Staffordshire, who had it registered June 29, 1949 to August 1, 1951, whereafter the aircraft was sold to Australia, where it was registered as VH-AYJ on November 2, 1951.
In 1959 Kingsford Smith Air Service Pty. Ltd. at Bankstown, New South Wales was engaged in a major Auster modernization and re-engining program and modified three aircraft which would serve as prototypes. One J/5G Autocar was re-engined with a Lycoming engine and become known as the Bushmaster, another with a Continental engine became the Super Autocar.
The third was J/1 VH-AYJ converted into a J/1BL, the 'L' indicating the 150 hp Lycoming O-320 four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine (driving a Sensenich fixed-pitch airscrew), which replaced the original 100 hp Cirrus Minor 2 four-cylinder air-cooled inverted in-line engine. Seating and soundproofing were improved, further enhancements were Girling cable-operated brakes, a Scott fully-castoring pneumatic tail-wheel, full instrumentation and additional electrical equipment. The aircraft became also known as the Kingsmith.
After a number of previous owners the aircraft was registered to its present owner Glenn Shaw of Ocean Reef, Western Australia on November 30, 2008.