In 1904-05 the Wright brothers set up their experimental flying field on Huffman Prairie in southwest Ohio. In 1917, Wilbur Wright Field and, adjacent to it in order to provide support, the Fairfield Aviation General Supply Depot, were established in the general area. After World War One, the two were merged and redesignated Wilbur Wright Air Service Depot, but was commonly referred to as Fairfield Air Depot.
In 1927 the two fields and surrounding area amounting to
over 4,500 acres (18 sq.km), was dedicated as Wright Field in honor of the
Wright brothers, and became headquarters for the Army Air Corps'
Material Division. In 1931 a portion of Wright Field was redesignated
Patterson Field in recognition of the efforts of the Patterson family
to relocate the mission of the Airplane Enfineering Division of the
Army Air Corps from too-small facilities in Dayton, known as McCook
Field, to the base.
Beginning in the WW II era, and continuing
afterwards, the adjacent complexes saw tremendous expansion efforts.
On January 13, 1948 Wright Field and Patterson Field, including the
original Huffman Prairie site, were officially merged to form
More photos of the aircraft above can be seen in a larger copy with
"hot spots". Also two photos of
Wright Field are shown here: 1,
2. More details on the history of
Wright-Patterson AFB, can be found in the
USAF Fact Sheet.