04/30/2012. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "This diminutive biplane fighter occupies a special place in the history of US Naval aviation, for it was the first carrier-based aeroplane specifically designed for the purpose. Designed by the Bureau of Aeronautics, the TS-1 was selected for production and a contract for 34 TS-1s (BuNo. A-6248 to A-6270; A-6305 to A-6315) was awarded to Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company under the prevailing policy of having the industry build Navy-designed aircraft.
An order for five (BuNo. A-6300 to A-6304) was given to the Naval Aircraft Factory (NAF) to be able to compare costs with the Curtiss-built aircraft. Some fuselage and tail structure details differences existed between the Curtiss- and NAF-built aircraft. The NAF aircraft served in a variety of roles, including developing carrier landing system hardware, while two served as general purpose aircraft at NAS Pensacola.
The first TS-1 appeared in May 1922, two months after the Navy's first aircraft carrier, the USS Langley (CV-1) had been commissioned. It was powered by a 200 hp Lawrance J-1 air-cooled radial engine that was later to become the Wright Whirlwind. The TS-1 was designed to operate as a twin-float seaplane or on a normal wheel chassis. The fuselage was centered between the wings and fuel was carried in a thickened center section of the lower wing. Two 0.30 in (7.62 mm) Browning machineguns were synchronized to fire through the propeller.
The first of the Curtiss-built TS-1s reached the Langley in December 1922. In addition to operating from the carrier deck, the TS-1s served for several years in floatplane configuration aboard destroyers, cruisers and battleships. No catapults were carried by these ships, the aircraft being slung over the side by cranes to operate from the water. They were retrieved the same way. Squadron VO-1 operated TS-1s this way from 1922 and VF-1 flew its float-equipped TS-1s from battleships for a time in 1925-1926. VF-1 also operated TS-1s on wheels from the Langley."