12/31/2009. The Beagle was designed by Blackburn's designer George Edward Petty according to the Air Ministry Specification 23/25 to replace the Hawker Horsley bomber, but also Specification 24/25 for a new torpedo bomber was taken into account.
In December 1926 only one prototype was ordered, the intended powerplant was the new engine Bristol Orion, but due to the failure of the engine the construction of the aircraft was seriously delayed. Hence the prototype (s/n N236) was fitted with a 526 hp Bristol Jupiter VIIIf and first flew February 18, 1928, with test pilot George Bulman at the controls.
The aircraft was fitted with one fixed forward-firing 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machinegun and one 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis machinegun on a Scarff ring in the aft cockpit. Arms existed from fixed first 7,7-mm Vickers machine gun and 7,7-mm Lewis machine-gun on the Scarff assembly ring in the hindmost cockpit. Beagle could carry 18 inch (45.7 cm) torpedo Mk.VIII or two 440 lb (250 kg) bombs.
During initial testing a number of modifications took place, while the Jupiter VIIIf was replaced by a 590 Jupiter XF, and in this configuration it was tested at Martlesham Heath against the Vickers Vildebeest and Handley Page Hare. With the Vildebeest as winner, the Beagle was used for some additional test flights, the last was made on October 3, 1932, and subsequently it was scrapped.