12/15/2015. Remarks by Johan Visschedijk: "Having exhausted the original tri-motor's potential with the Ca.3, Caproni studied a more powerful derivative during the winter of 1916-17. The aircraft which emerged, called Ca.5 by the Italian Army, shared its predecessor's general layout but differed in every detail. Wing span and chord were increased; the radiators were placed in the nose and tail booms; the nose wheel eliminated. Some 255 were built in Italy, the basic type was powered by three 200 hp Fiat A.12 engines.
(In 1933 the Caproni company retroactively allotted designations to specific versions of the early types under the military Ca.5 designation, being Ca.44 to Ca.47.)
On November 25, 1917 the USASC ordered fifty Ca.5s to be constructed by Curtiss in serial block 25809 to 29058. The order was subsequently cancelled. From August 19, 1918 on, no less than 1,009 Ca.5s were ordered from Standard, Curtiss and Fisher Body (serials 40069 to 40071, 41409, 42117 to 42121 and 42153 to 43152 but only four (40069 to 40071, 42119) were completed. Of these 40070, 40071 and 42119 were also flown at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, with Project Numbers P-62, P-84 and P-96 respectively. In addition one was donated by Italy but did not carry a serial.