GARY L. SMITH COLLECTION
No. 9080. Martinsyde F.1 (A3933) Royal Flying Corps
Photograph from Flight, taken at Brooklands, Surrey, UK
Aeroplane Photo Supply (APS
) Photo No. 1582
06/30/2009. Pictured is the first of two prototypes (s/n A3933 and A3934) ordered September 16, 1916, under War Office Contract No.87/A/435. In the two-seat aircraft the gunner occupied the forward cockpit and stood upright to fire a 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on a mount built into the upper wing centre section. A 250 hp Rolls-Royce Mk.III powered the F.1, giving it a top speed of 109.5 mph (176 kmh) at 6,500 ft (1,981 m).
By the time it was officially tested at CFS Upavon from June 11 to July 22, 1917, it was already obsolete, and the F.1 was not further developed.
Created June 30, 2009